Home / Knowledge / News / Fashion / Inditex raises stake in Zara Deutschland to 78%

Inditex raises stake in Zara Deutschland to 78%

22
Mar '06
Spanish fashion retailer Inditex SA has reached an agreement to purchase from German Otto Group a 28 percent stake in the share capital of Zara Deutschland, the company that operates Zara stores in the German market.

Inditex has thus raised its stake in the joint venture from 50 percent to 78 percent, while Otto Group holds the remaining 22 percent. The transaction must be approved by the Anti-Trust Authorities and endorsed by Otto Group shareholders.

Inditex began its expansion in Germany with the launching of its first Zara store in Cologne back in September 1999. Since then, Zara is present in the major cities of the country, where it has 41 outlets.

The German market holds a relevant place among Inditex's expansion targets for Europe. The Group opened ten stores in Germany last year, and a further twelve openings are expected throughout 2006. Zara will launch its fourth outlet in Berlin this year.

The agreement reached in Germany that grants Inditex the majority stake in its German subsidiary follows the example of other agreements recently reached with regard to potentially relevant markets, such as Italy and Japan, two countries where the Group began trading through 50-50 joint ventures with local partners.

In Italy, Inditex now owns 80 percent of its subsidiary while in Japan it now holds 100 percent. In that regard, it currently holds a 100 percent stake in Zara Russia (company that operated the brand through a franchise agreement) as well as the majority stake in Zara Poland (which was also operated via a franchise agreement).

Inditex SA is one of the worlds largest fashion distributors, with eight sales formats -Zara, Pull and Bear, Massimo Dutti, Bershka, Stradivarius, Oysho, Zara Home y Kiddy's Class- boasting 2,696 stores in 62 countries.

Inditex SA


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 20th Feb 2020

An Industry Goes Viral

When the novel coronavirus, now called COVID-19, was first detected...

Pic: Shutterstock

Apparel/Garments | On 20th Feb 2020

Bangla garment accessories sector may lose Tk 1500 cr

Bangladesh's garments accessories and packaging sector may incur a...

Pic: freemind-production / Shutterstock.com

Retail | On 20th Feb 2020

Authentic Brands announces acquisition of Forever 21

Authentic Brands Group (ABG), a global brand development, marketing,...

Interviews View All

Siddharth Biyani, Mangalam Industries Pvt Ltd

Siddharth Biyani
Mangalam Industries Pvt Ltd

‘The manufacturing sector is improving day-by-day, becoming better in...

Karin Ekberg, Leadership & Sustainability

Karin Ekberg
Leadership & Sustainability

Sustainable models are beneficial for brands, retailers and manufacturers

Manuj Terapanthi, Texaura

Manuj Terapanthi
Texaura

Transparent supply chain and fair trade will boost sustainable market

Iacopo Pardini,

Iacopo Pardini

Founded in 1953, Italian engineering company Arioli Spa started...

Jash Choraria,

Jash Choraria

Established in 2015 by <b>Jash Choraria</b>, Unifynd is a Mumbai-based...

Fan Liyuan,

Fan Liyuan

Chinese company Jiangsu Yingyang Nonwoven Machinery, established in 1993,...

Justin Chan & Shyam Gollakota, University of Washington

Justin Chan & Shyam Gollakota
University of Washington

A fabric that can store data without any electronics or batteries has been ...

Madison Maxey, Loomia

Madison Maxey
Loomia

Loomia designs and manufactures soft circuit systems that can be produced...

Ray Baughman, University of Texas -Dallas

Ray Baughman
University of Texas -Dallas

<div>A team of scientists and researchers have discovered twistrons,...

Rupa Sood and Sharan Apparao, Nayaab

Rupa Sood and Sharan Apparao
Nayaab

Nayaab, an exhibition meant to celebrate Indian weaves, is in its second...

Hemant & Nandita, Hemant & Nandita

Hemant & Nandita
Hemant & Nandita

The designer duo of Hemant &amp; Nandita are known for being inspired by...

Tony Ward, Tony Ward

Tony Ward
Tony Ward

"You have to truly understand what your client wants, know her needs, what ...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


February 2020

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search