Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / EU and Japan sign Economic Partnership Agreement
EU and Japan sign Economic Partnership Agreement
18
Jul '18
Moments of EPA signing in Tokyo. Courtesy: Twitter handle of Jean-Claude Juncker
Moments of EPA signing in Tokyo. Courtesy: Twitter handle of Jean-Claude Juncker
European Union and Japan have signed an Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) creating an open trade zone covering over 600 million people. The landmark deal eliminates about 99 per cent of the tariffs on Japanese goods sold to the EU. About 94 percent of the tariffs on European exports to Japan will be lifted, rising to 99 per cent in the future.
 
The EPA—the biggest ever trade agreement negotiated by the EU—will remove the vast majority of the €1 billion of duties paid annually by EU companies exporting to Japan. It will also open up the Japanese market of 127 million consumers to key EU agricultural exports and will increase EU export opportunities in a range of other sectors, including textiles and clothing.
 
As per the EPA, Japan will eliminate tariffs on 94 per cent of imported goods from the EU, including 82 per cent of farm and fishery products. It will immediately cut tariffs on chemical, industrial and textile products, and set up a low-tariff quota on soft cheese from the EU. However, it will exclude rice from lower tariffs.
 
On the other hand, the EU will cut tariffs on 99 per cent of imports from Japan. It will immediately scrap tariffs on more than 90 per cent of auto parts in terms of trade value, and will eliminate the remaining 10 per cent tariff on Japanese automobiles seven years after the deal’s implementation.
 
The EPA will also in addition strengthen cooperation between Europe and Japan in a range of areas, reaffirm their shared commitment to sustainable development, and include for the first time a specific commitment to the Paris climate agreement.
 
The pact has been signed at a crucial time when the US administration is increasing tariffs on imports from several of its trading partners. “The EU and Japan showed an undeterred determination to lead the world as flag-bearers for free trade,” Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said at a joint news conference with European Council President Donald Tusk and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker.
 
The agreement now needs to be ratified by the European Parliament and the Japanese Diet following which it could enter into force in 2019. (RKS)
 

Fibre2Fashion News Desk – India


Must ReadView All

VF Corporation to split into two independent companies

Apparel/Garments | On 14th Aug 2018

VF Corporation to split into two independent companies

VF Corporation, a global leader in branded lifestyle apparel,...

Courtesy: Good On You

Apparel/Garments | On 14th Aug 2018

Good On You in Oz adds 500 European brands to rating app

Australia-based Good On You’s brand-rating app has recently added 500 ...

Courtesy: USDA/FAS

Textiles | On 14th Aug 2018

US cotton exports in 2017-18 highest in over a decade

Cotton exports from the US in 2017-18 reached their highest level...

Interviews View All

Nitin Bhatia
Trend Arrest

Setting up a brand for online selling is easy, but running the brand is not

Evelyne Cholet
UCMTF

‘France had a reputation of being big in new ideas, but poor in marketing...

Pratik Bachkaniwala
Palod Himson Machines

Fabric processing machines are picking up

Abhishek Pachauri

Reckon Industries is into manufacturing of textile process house machines, ...

Suresh P Bagrecha

Komal Texfab, founded in 1981, is into manufacturing of knitted fabrics,...

Riddhi Jain

Conceived in Europe and curated in New Delhi, NeceSera is a...

Steve Cole
Xerium Technologies

Steve Cole of Xerium Technologies discusses the industry. Xerium is the...

Urs Stalder
Sanitized AG

Urs Stalder, CEO, Sanitized AG, talks about the increasing use of hygiene...

Iago Castro Asensio
RCfil Distribuciones S.L.

Iago Castro Asensio, International Business Manager of RCfil...

Cigdem Akin
Cigdem Akin

She has carved a niche for herself as the national brand of Turkey. Her...

Madhu Jain
Madhu Jain

She grew up in the walled city of Old Delhi, completed her studies, and...

Sanjukta Dutta
Sanjukta's Studio

<b>Sanjukta Dutta</b> creates unique garments by clubbing prints of...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


August 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search