Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Z'bwe textile giant Modzone faces capital shortage

Z'bwe textile giant Modzone faces capital shortage

03
Feb '12
Modzone Enterprises, Zimbabwe's leading textile company, is facing shortage of capital and it needs about US$ 16 million in funds to achieve sustainable productivity levels to meet the demand from both the domestic and export markets.

Jaham Paham, the Iranian Pension Fund, holds 82 percent stake in Modzone through its investment company Saba Jahad Full. The remaining 18 percent share is held by Industrial Development Corporation of Zimbabwe (IDCZ).

Modzone operates three manufacturing units - Afroran Spinners (Pvt) Limited, Irazim Textiles (Pvt) Limited and Travan Blankets (Pvt) Limited. These units are scheduled to re-open post their annual shut down, after finalizing a deal with Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority (ZESA) regarding the arrears.

Currently, Modzone is also struggling to pay-off its statutory and utility arrears of more than US$ 1.5 million.

IDCZ said shortage of cash is the major challenge faced by Modzone Enterprises, as it aims to revive operational capacity to make up for the supply gap in domestic and export markets.

He added that the local financial institutions were the traditional source of finance, but these institutions are currently not in a position to extend loans as they themselves are undercapitalized. These institutions are at present only offering short-term loans ranging between 90 to 180 days for working capital and long-term loans for capital expenditure.

Modzone is facing stiff competition from low-priced imported fabrics and blankets, particularly from Asian countries.

Modzone Enterprises is engaged in production, wholesale and retailing of yarn, fabrics, blankets and other items.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 26th Jul 2021

Vietnam opens new rail freight link to Belgium on China-Europe line

Vietnam Railways (VNR) has added a new rail freight link from Vietnam ...

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 26th Jul 2021

UK launches consultation on scheme for trade with developing nations

The United Kingdom recently launched a consultation on new trading...

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 26th Jul 2021

Prime Content| Rising demand to positively impact Australian wool exports: TexPro

Australian wool exports are expected to grow in the current season...

Interviews View All

Vandana Narang, National Institute of Fashion Technology

Vandana Narang
National Institute of Fashion Technology

Campus placements are low due to lockdowns

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Ensured payment of fee was least concern for students

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Biggest learning was adaptability

David Guiho,

David Guiho

Headquartered in Apt, South of France, Delta Plus designs, manufactures...

Rishav Bajoria & Subham Sengupta,

Rishav Bajoria & Subham Sengupta

Launched in October 2020, the Gumti app could not have come at a more...

Shivaani Jain,

Shivaani Jain

Established in 2015, Once Upon A Trunk is a one-stop-shop with almost...

Tiasha Renganathan, Twinery Innovations by MAS

Tiasha Renganathan
Twinery Innovations by MAS

Twinery-Innovations by MAS is the innovation arm of Sri Lankan company MAS ...

Kevin Young & Tom Lucas, Web Industries

Kevin Young & Tom Lucas
Web Industries

Web Industries is a precision formatter of nonwoven materials used in baby ...

Giulio Cesareo, Directa Plus

Giulio Cesareo
Directa Plus

UK-based Directa Plus is one of the largest producers and suppliers...

Seema Gujral, Label Seema Gujral

Seema Gujral
Label Seema Gujral

<b>Seema Gujral</b>'s designs for her eponymous label revolve around...

Megha Kumari & Jigar Mali, Label Megha & Jigar

Megha Kumari & Jigar Mali
Label Megha & Jigar

New Delhi based label Megha &amp; Jigar blends India's unique handcrafts...

Niti Singhal, Twee In One

Niti Singhal
Twee In One

Best known for convertible clothing, Indian brand Twee In One by designer...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


July 2021

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search