The company said that it expects full-year 2014 operating earnings of $4.20 to $4.45 per share, up 8 to 15 percent versus 2013. DuPont separately announced that its Board of Directors authorized a new $5 billion share repurchase program, with $2 billion expected to occur in 2014.
"Our strong fourth quarter results reflect successful execution across the company against the backdrop of a gradually improving global economy," said DuPont Chair and CEO Ellen Kullman. "For the year, we delivered double-digit operating earnings growth and higher margins, aside from the substantial decline in Performance Chemicals. The improvement was driven by higher volumes, new innovative products and productivity gains."
"Our 2013 results and strategic actions demonstrate we are advancing our plan to build a higher growth, higher value DuPont and reinforce our decision to separate Performance Chemicals into a strong, independent company," Kullman said. "Our $5 billion share repurchase program reflects ongoing confidence in our plan to continue increasing the value of DuPont for shareholders in 2014 and beyond."
Fourth Quarter Highlights
- Company sales increased 6 percent to $7.7 billion, with 9 percent volume growth reflecting increased demand across all segments and regions.
- Segment operating earnings of $939 million increased 52 percent versus $616 million last year, with operating margin improvement across most segments.
- Agriculture operating earnings were $88 million compared to a seasonal operating loss of $77 million last year, driven by strong insecticide sales in Latin America and earlier seed shipments.
- Electronics & Communications, Safety & Protection and Nutrition & Health recorded operating earnings increases of 116 percent, 57 percent, and 40 percent, respectively.
Full Year Highlights
- 2013 operating earnings were $3.88 per share, up 3 percent from $3.77 per share in the prior year. Sales increased 3 percent to $35.7 billion with 5 percent higher volume. GAAP earnings from continuing operations were $3.04 per share versus $2.59 per share last year.
- Segment operating earnings were $5.9 billion, down from $6.3 billion last year primarily due to a $0.8 billion decline ($.66 per share) in Performance Chemicals. Excluding Performance Chemicals in both years, segment operating earnings increased $490 million, or 11 percent.
- Agriculture operating earnings grew 16 percent on 13 percent higher sales, partially offset by higher seed input costs and negative currency impact. Sales growth was principally driven by higher global seed prices and volumes, increased global insecticide and fungicide volumes, and the benefit of increased ownership in Pannar Seed (Pty) Ltd.
- Free cash flow was $1.3 billion versus $3.1 billion in the prior year, primarily due to the decline in Performance Chemicals earnings, changes in Agriculture working capital, and the absence of Performance Coatings earnings following the 2013 divestiture.
- The unfunded pension and OPEB liability decreased $4.9 billion to $8.4 billion at December 31, 2013.
Click here to read full results
AI / robotics may challenge existing long value chains
Fashion industry likely to remain labour-intensive in coming years
Everflow Petrofils Ltd
‘An innovative technology which India needs desperately is the...
With flexibility and versatility, Dettin strives to meet the specific...
New Delhi-based Jogindra Industries Private Limited provides an assortment ...
Peekaboo is a sustainable, high quality, luxury sleepwear brand providing...
It was in 1968 that Klopman introduced the concept of poly/cotton workwear ...
Sameer Sonkusale & Rachel Owyeung
A team at the Tufts University in Massachusetts was recently in news for...
Broadcast Wearables Pvt Ltd
Hyderabad-based Broadcast Wearables has come up with the country's first...
Sailesh Singhania Label
The Sailesh Singhania label was created to promote handwoven sarees and...
By Chandani is a womenswear prêt couture brand with fusion silhouettes by...
Aditi Somani specialises in luxury fusion wear with international cuts and ...