Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Govt to back carpet industry with advance technology

Govt to back carpet industry with advance technology

19
Mar '08
At a press conference held at the Shri-Kashmir International Conference Center, Jairam Ramesh, Union Minister for Industry and Commerce and Dr Haseeb Drabu, Chairman Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) Bank and Economic advisor to the Government, disclosed about a mega proposal for the carpet industry and the power sector.

Of the Rs4000 crore carpet export made by India, J&K contributes about Rs1000 crore accounting for 25 percent of the total.

With regard to this industry, Mr Jairam Ramesh announced that the existing 40,000 carpet looms in Jammu & Kashmir will be replaced by new advanced ones to increase the productivity and quality of goods produced.

The Indian Institute of Carpet Technology (IITC) have developed these new looms which will replace the old ones in a period of five years.

The entire project will involve an investment of Rs85 crore of which 75 percent will be borne by the State and Central Government while the remaining 25 percent will be catered by the beneficiaries through loans from the J&K Bank.

Additionally, the Pashmina, Sozni and Kani shawl industry will also be protected through geographical indicator (GI) which acts like a logo or a brand.

It was revealed that the power sector of J&K would be made open to the public for raising funds for the establishment of 20,000 mega watt potential of hydro electricity in the state.

Moreover, Dr Drabu also revealed that a group of 19 foreign institutional investors (FIIs) had visited the state in search of an alternative investment destination in the state.

While addressing to the media, Mr Jairam gave details about the efforts taken by the Government as well as by the J&K Bank to make the state economy thrive.


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 3rd Dec 2020

PRC overtakes US to turn EU's biggest trading partner

China has overtaken the United States in the third quarter of this...

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 3rd Dec 2020

Vietnam's textile-garment exports likely to reach $34 bn

Vietnam's textile and garment industry is predicted to earn $33.5-$34 ...

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 3rd Dec 2020

Uzbek firm to supply cotton fabrics to Ukraine

Uzbekistan's Textile-Contact Company recently signed a $12-million...

Interviews View All

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

Fashion tech has to be lean and very productive

Textile Industry, Head honchos

Textile Industry
Head honchos

African fashion has a strong identity

Sunil Rathore, Lacoste India

Sunil Rathore
Lacoste India

‘New vendor is welcome if he offers cost, quality and timely delivery’

Vikram Juneja,

Vikram Juneja

Jaquard is a training institute providing a highly specialised training...

Mark Tokuhara,

Mark Tokuhara

Japan-based FitJoy, a shoe brand for women, has been in the footwear...

Eric Fessler,

Eric Fessler

Manufacturer of textile machinery and complete fibre-to-yarn lines, N...

Prof Seokheun (Sean) Choi, Binghamton University, State University of New York (SUNY)

Prof Seokheun (Sean) Choi
Binghamton University, State University of New York (SUNY)

A team of researchers from the State University of New York (SUNY),...

Steve Cole, Xerium Technologies

Steve Cole
Xerium Technologies

Steve Cole of Xerium Technologies discusses the industry. Xerium is the...

Georg Reinhold, Trützschler  Nonwovens & Man-Made Fibers

Georg Reinhold
Trützschler Nonwovens & Man-Made Fibers

Trützschler Nonwovens & Man-Made Fibers, a part of the Trützschler Group,...

Madhu Jain, Madhu Jain

Madhu Jain
Madhu Jain

She grew up in the walled city of Old Delhi, completed her studies, and...

Suman Nathwani, Suman Nathwani

Suman Nathwani
Suman Nathwani

<span style="font-size: 12px;">Designer Suman Nathwani talks about her...

Jay Ramrakhiani, Occasions Elegance Wear

Jay Ramrakhiani
Occasions Elegance Wear

It is believed that by early 19th century, Varanasi weavers had moved away ...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


December 2020

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search