Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / New RoO give denim makers reason to rejoice
New RoO give denim makers reason to rejoice
17
Jan '11
The denim industry in Bangladesh is blooming, mainly because of the relaxation in trade regulations and also because orders from China are now shifting to Bangladesh. Thus, more and more business owners in Bangladesh are substantially investing in the denim sector of the country so as to take advantage of the growing prospects of the industry across the world.

As the demand for denim items is on a rise owing to the changing fashions and the denim units are either raising their capacity or are establishing new plants to meet the growing demand. Earlier, most of the denim products either constituted the menswear category or came in the form of winter apparels, but with the changing fashion trends they are now made available for men, women as well as kids' apparel range and that to for all seasons.

As stated by the Bangladeshi denim producers, the relaxation of its rules of origin (RoO) by the EU under the Generalised System of Preferences (GSP), has laid bare many new prospects for the denim sector.

The relaxed RoO which became effective from January 1 allows the exporters to enjoy duty-free access to the EU nations even when the products are manufactured from fabric brought in from other countries. Earlier, the exporters enjoyed this benefit only in case of goods produced from local fabrics.

Such relaxed GSP rules are believed to considerably boost the demand for domestically made denim items. The garment producers in Bangladesh till now used to import fabrics from countries like India, China, Pakistan and Indonesia, which used to cost them at least 45-day lead-time.

The Bangladeshi garment manufacturers however stated that, they certainly would not import fabrics from foreign countries at higher prices, lead-time and freight charges, if the same is available in the local market. Presently, around 21 local denim manufacturers source around 40 percent of the country's total demand, while the rest 60 percent demand is met through imports. Each of these 21 factories is capacitated to churn out around six lakh yards of denim every month.



Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

NRF urges US Congress to step in, stop trade war

Apparel/Garments | On 21st Jun 2018

NRF urges US Congress to step in, stop trade war

The National Retail Federation (NRF) recently urged the US Congress...

Courtesy: Connor Group

Textiles | On 21st Jun 2018

Protectionism top threat to textile sourcing: William Connor

Protectionism is the biggest political factor and threat affecting...

Courtesy: Tintex

Textiles | On 21st Jun 2018

'Price ratio is key factor for knitted fabrics market'

The price ratio is a key factor for the global knitted fabrics market ...

Interviews View All

Veronique Lee
Modavanti

‘Sustainable fashion is trending upwards, slowly but surely, as people...

Top executives
Textile industry

Overall, Union budget 2018-19 is very balanced

Nitin Soni
Dolphin Jingwei Machines

Taxation policies need to be made simpler

Harsh Shah

Established in 1956 with a small beginning, Embee today manufactures a...

Tejas N Patel, Navin D Patel

Founded in 1999 by Navin Patel in the name of Tejas Fabrics with 100...

Erik Sy

Manila-based CustomThread is a start-up offering premium custom apparel...

Johan Berlin
InvestKonsult Sweden AB

Investkonsult Sweden AB has been buying and selling second-hand textile...

Marten Alkhagen
Swerea IVF AB

Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...

Larry L Kinn
Suominen Corporation

Larry L Kinn, Senior Vice President - Operations Americas of Suominen...

Tony Ward
Tony Ward

"You have to truly understand what your client wants, know her needs, what ...

Priya Somaiya
Usha Social Services

The Usha Silai label from Usha International is all set for a retail...

Cigdem Akin
Cigdem Akin

She has carved a niche for herself as the national brand of Turkey. Her...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


June 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search