Home / Knowledge / News / Retailers more confident Christmas prospects, BRC
Retailers more confident Christmas prospects, BRC
14
Dec '09
Retailers are overwhelming convinced that this Christmas will be no worse than last year.

42 per cent of retailers responding to the British Retail Consortium's (BRC's) Christmas Trading Snapshot Survey, published, said this Christmas will be better than last year's. The other 58 per cent said sales would be the same as 2008 while none of the respondents thought sales will be worse.

Almost half of retailers expect greater discounting in the run-up to this Christmas; only a quarter expect less. 53 per cent thought December's sales will be boosted by customers bringing their purchases forward to beat January's VAT increase. But nearly half of retailers said sales in the New Year will be harmed by the increase in the VAT rate to 17.5 per cent, which the Chancellor has confirmed for 1 January.

Stephen Robertson, British Retail Consortium Director General, said: "There's some good news here but we're not out of trouble yet.

"I'm reassured that retailers are more confident about their prospects this Christmas but remember the comparison is with dramatic sales falls last year. There are more customers willing and able to spend now but, for many retailers, it's taking even more discounts to persuade them to buy.

"The impact of the VAT increase is a concern for half the respondents but other clouds are gathering. Customers are cautious. Jobs are a big worry and neither will be helped by the tax-battering promised by the Chancellor."

British Retail Consortium


Must ReadView All

Apparel/Garments | On 23rd Sep 2017

AAFA urges negotiators to preserve TPLs in NAFTA

The American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA), an alliance of...

Textiles | On 23rd Sep 2017

SIMA urges Centre to re-look duty drawback rates

he Southern India Mills’ Association (SIMA) has appealed to the...

Textiles | On 23rd Sep 2017

PKR 690.65-mn budget for Pakistan Cotton Committee

The Pakistan Central Cotton Committee (PCCC) recently approved a PKR...

Interviews View All

Mohammad Mamun Ar Rashid
UL VS Bangladesh Ltd

Productivity, creativity and innovation play a vital role in the growth of ...

C. Dhandayuthapani
Mag Solvics Pvt. Ltd

ITME 2016 exploited our full strength like never before

Stefan Warnaar
Peak to Plateau

People are willing to pay for quality and performance

Marcel Alberts
Eurofibers

Coating at a fibre level is a practice not usually seen in the...

Marten Alkhagen
Swerea IVF AB

Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...

Mohammad Hassan
Biax Fiberfilm

About one in every 20 patients picks up an infection while hospitalised....

Aditi Somani
Aditi Somani

Aditi Somani specialises in luxury fusion wear with international cuts and ...

Sonam & Paras Modi
SVA

Sonam and Paras Modi's Sva Couture is synonymous with head-turning...

Sidharth Sinha
Sidharth Sinha

<b>Sidharth Sinha</b> has contributed to the successful rebirth and...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

September 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Planning to Take the Leap towards
Sustainability?

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes No

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you see sustainability as a route to business growth?

Yes
74.5%
No
12.8%
Skip
12.8%

Total Votes: 47

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think the sustainability space has the needed tools and resources available for a business to lead change?

Yes
61.7%
No
25.5%
Skip
12.8%

Total Votes: 47

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes No

Active Poll

Do you think adopting a sustainable approach will be a profitable move for your business?

Yes
87.2%
No
6.4%
Skip
6.4%

Total Votes: 47

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Claim your free latest sustainability e-book.

Active Poll

Do you want the world to know about your sustainability journey and your business’ environmental footprint?

Yes
70.2%
No
10.6%
Skip
19.1%

Total Votes: 47


E-News Insight
Subscribe Today and Get the
Latest News Update in Your Mail Box.
Advanced Search