Home / Knowledge / News / WALMEX to acquire Walmart Centroamerica
WALMEX to acquire Walmart Centroamerica
Dec '09
Wal-Mart de México, S.A.B. de C.V. announces to its shareholders, as well as to the public in general, that the company signed a final agreement to acquire Walmart Centroamerica, of which Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. is the majority shareholder with a 51% position, and the remaining 49% is held by minority shareholders in the region.

Walmart Centroamerica is the leading retailer in the region, operating supermarkets, discount stores, and hypermarkets in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. The company has consolidated a solid multi-format portfolio of brands, all of them very well positioned in the different socioeconomic segments that they serve.

The company has 519 stores, 11 distribution centers and one agro-industrial operation that supplies products to the stores in the region. Sales for the last 12 months to September 2009 amounted to the equivalent of US$3.3 billion dollars. The fiscal year for Walmart Centroamerica and Walmart de Mexico ends on December 31.

“I am very pleased to close this year with a historical transaction. The acquisition of Walmart Centroamerica converts Walmart de Mexico into an international company with 1,929 units in six countries generating more than US$25 billion dollars in sales. It also gives Walmex shareholders access to additional growth opportunities in 5 countries, that adds to the existing opportunities in our country,” said Eduardo Solorzano, President and CEO of Walmart de Mexico.

“Walmart Centroamerica is a profitable company, and has a proven management team that has taken it to high profitability and efficiency levels. Additionally, it serves a market that is very similar to the Mexican market. In the course of several years, Walmart de Mexico and Walmart Centroamerica have shared the implementation of best practices, and have identified synergies that now, with this transaction, offer several opportunities for the integration of both businesses. The support of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. to this deal is a sign of confidence in the leadership of our company, and in the value creation that this will represent for consumers in Mexico and Central America as well as Walmart de Mexico shareholders,” Eduardo Solorzano said.

“Additionally, I am pleased that Walmart de Mexico's expansion plans will retain with the same dynamism that has always characterized us, as our country continues to offer a great number of opportunities, and many families will benefit from our stores. We will continue investing with the same long term vision that has distinguished our company as a leading retailer in Mexico and that has led us to invest $45.5 billion pesos in the last five years. I am certain that the acquisition of Walmart Centroamerica will ignite a new growth stage for the company in the region, and will allow us to expand to other nations our vision for improving the quality of life for the families of our customers,” said Eduardo Solorzano.

Terms of the transaction:

Must ReadView All

Apparel/Garments | On 24th Feb 2017

Q4FY17 EPS dips 11% at apparel retailer Macy’s

For the thirteen weeks period ended January 28, 2017, earning per...

Textiles | On 24th Feb 2017

Net income slips at Westlake Chemicals in Q4

For the three months ended December 31, 2016, net income at US...

Apparel/Garments | On 23rd Feb 2017

NAFTA renegotiation puts Mexico-US jeans trade at risk

The almost imminent renegotiation of the North America Free Trade...

Interviews View All

Cyril Pereira
Reed Exhibitions India, organiser of Asian Machine Tool Exhibition 2016

'Major problem in the textile machinery manufacturing industry is the lack ...

Poojaa Kumar Deepak

Zeven's performance sports apparel is designed for the Indian body type,...

Abhishek Ganguly
Puma India

‘As a brand, Puma is always looking for new and innovative ways to inspire ...

Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson, Chief Scientific Officer, TissueGen discusses the growing...

Iago Castro Asensio
RCfil Distribuciones S.L.

Iago Castro Asensio, International Business Manager of RCfil...

Mark Paterson
Technical Absorbents Ltd

Mark Paterson, R&D manager of Technical Absorbents Ltd talks about Super...

Wendell Rodricks
Wendell Rodricks

"We should not compare India and the West. There are things we do that...

Yash P. Kotak
Bombay Hemp Company

One of the directors of Bombay Hemp Company, Yash P. Kotak, speaks to...

Tony Ward
Tony Ward

"You have to truly understand what your client wants, know her needs, what ...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


Letter To Editor

(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies

February 2017

February 2017

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Browse Our Archives


Subscribe today and get the latest News update in your mail box.
Advanced Search