Fourth-quarter Financial Summary
- Net sales increased 17% to a fourth-quarter record of $221 million, up from $189 million in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Company-controlled comparable sales grew 11%, representing the 13th consecutive quarter of double-digit comparable-sales growth.
- Operating income decreased 3% to $19.4 million, and, as a percentage of net sales, was 8.8% compared to 10.6% in the fourth quarter of 2011. Operating margin decreased 180 basis points year-over-year, which included a 250 basis-point increase in sales and marketing expenses and a 30 basis-point increase in research and development expenses. This was partially offset by a 60 basis-point improvement in gross margin and a 50 basis-point decrease in general and administrative (G&A) expenses.
- Earnings per diluted share for the quarter were $0.22, a 19% decrease vs. $0.27 per diluted share in the fourth quarter of 2011. Fourth-quarter 2011 results included a $1.9 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, non-recurring net decrease to income-tax expense related to the favorable resolution of prior-years’ tax matters.
- During the quarter, the company opened 20 new stores and closed four, ending the year at 410 stores, 19% of which were in the non-mall format.
- Average retail sales per comparable store on a trailing 12-month basis reached a record $2.2 million, 26% higher than prior-year.
Full-year 2012 Financial Summary
- Net sales increased 26% to a record $935 million, up from $743 million in 2011.
- Company-controlled comparable sales grew 23%.
- Results included a $5.6 million, or $0.06 per diluted share, non-recurring, non-cash charge in the first quarter associated with the June 1, 2012 chief executive officer (CEO) transition.
- Adjusted operating income increased 39% to a record $125.4 million (excluding the CEO transition charge), and, as a percentage of net sales, was a record 13.4% compared to 12.2% for 2011.
- The 120 basis-point, year-over-year increase in adjusted operating margin included a 70 basis-point decrease in G&A expenses and a 50 basis-point improvement in gross margin.
- Earnings per diluted share on a GAAP basis were a record $1.37, a 28% increase vs. $1.07 per diluted share in 2011. Adjusted earnings per diluted share were $1.43 (excluding the CEO transition charge), which were 34% higher than 2011.
- The company opened 57 new stores and closed 28 in 2012; year-end store count of 410 was 8% higher than year-end 2011.
“We are extremely pleased with our record 2012 annual performance and the progress we’ve made toward our long-term goals. That said, fourth-quarter results were negatively impacted by a significant sales slow-down the last two weeks of December. We also invested in marketing production and testing, as well as product and service innovation, from which we expect to benefit in the current year and beyond,” said Shelly Ibach, president and CEO, Select Comfort.
Textiles | On 24th May 2018
In China, cotton consumption is forecast to expand 4 per cent and...
Textiles | On 24th May 2018
Birla Cellulose, Isko and Lenzing have joined ZDHC Roadmap to Zero...
Apparel/Garments | On 24th May 2018
India has an online population of 500 million but only 50 million...
Max Fashion India
‘Traditional high-street retailers are now willing to offer franchisees to ...
‘Indian footwear market is nascent and largely a trend follower’
Bolger & O'Hearn
‘The Indian market is interesting and rather persistent in seeking new...
Krypthm Tradelink LLP is a Surat-based manufacturer of westernwear....
Textile Events is one of the largest textile fair in the United Kingdom,...
No Nasties was the first fashion brand in India to make 100 per cent...
Urs Stalder, CEO, Sanitized AG, talks about the increasing use of hygiene...
Schlegel und Partner
Silke Brand-Kirsch, executive partner of Schlegel und Partner, a leading...
Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG
The glass mat industry is growing by five to eight per cent annually. Kai...
<b>Samar Firdos</b>, Chief Manager (Design) at Lifestyle Apparel Denim...
Silvia Venturini Fendi
"Yes, my confidence and positive attitude are my strengths and should be...
<b>Sidharth Sinha</b> has contributed to the successful rebirth and...