Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Balinese craftsmen struggling for survival
Balinese craftsmen struggling for survival
11
Jul '09
The global economic slowdown is taking its toll on the handicraft producers in Bali, due to which the producers here are struggling for their survival in business.

Due the ongoing economic situation, exports to major markets in the US, the Netherlands, Canada and Australia have witnessed a drastic downfall. Business is coming in only from the domestic markets and little or no orders are received from overseas markets.

Handicraft producers, who used to export about 70 percent of their products overseas, are now able to sell only the rest of the 30 percent of the crafts in the domestic market, grieved one of the producers in Bali.

One of the shoe brands, here, produces thousands of shoes and sandals, and sells each pair for Rp 80,000-90,000 (US $8-9) in local market and in overseas market the same commands a price of $10-12.

Exports from Bali to a number of countries have dropped by 13 percent to only $61.42 million in the first three months of 2009, which stood at $70.89 million in 2008 for the same period, reveals data from Bali Statistics Agency.

Manufacturers of wooden items are also facing the same situation. They have had to reduce their production and are restricted to the local market. Majority of handicrafts and garment producers in Bali, at present rely largely on the domestic market.

In case of garments, Bali faces hard competition from the producers of other local areas such as Bandung and West Java, who produce similar quality products at cheaper prices. Higher overhead and labour costs in Bali are making it difficult for the producers here to compete with the producers in other local areas.

Fibre2fashion News Desk - India


Must ReadView All

May 31 deadline for registration of chemicals under REACH

Textiles | On 23rd May 2018

May 31 deadline for registration of chemicals under REACH

May 31 is the final deadline for companies to register all chemicals...

US cotton production projected to decline in 2018: USDA

Textiles | On 23rd May 2018

US cotton production projected to decline in 2018: USDA

US cotton production is forecast at 19.5 million bales, nearly 7 per...

Pakistan's textile exports up 8.13% in July-April FY18

Textiles | On 23rd May 2018

Pakistan's textile exports up 8.13% in July-April FY18

The value of textile and garment exports from Pakistan increased by...

Interviews View All

Abhishek Samdaria
Reflete

GST will certainly reduce a lot of paperwork in future

Akash Khetan
Narayan Tex Fab

I find it hard to find professionals in Surat

Smita Murarka
Amanté

‘There is huge demand in the Indian lingerie market for non-wired styles.’

Sugandha Bhardwaj

<div>New Delhi-based Brinjal Designs Pvt Ltd manufactures home furnishing...

Hardik Sanghvi

Idealin Fogging Systems has been engaged in designing and manufacturing...

Rikesh Mistry

Jupiter Comtex Pvt Ltd, established in 1973, started its textile machinery ...

Suresh Patel
Sidwin Fabric

Sidwin Fabric is a manufacturer and exporter of polypropylene textiles and ...

Kerem Durdag
Biovation II LLC

Kerem Durdag, CEO, Biovation II LLC, provides an insight into future...

Kai Poehler
Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG

The glass mat industry is growing by five to eight per cent annually. Kai...

Cigdem Akin
Cigdem Akin

She has carved a niche for herself as the national brand of Turkey. Her...

Yash P. Kotak
Bombay Hemp Company

One of the directors of Bombay Hemp Company, Yash P. Kotak, speaks to...

Rupa Sood and Sharan Apparao
Nayaab

Nayaab, an exhibition meant to celebrate Indian weaves, is in its second...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


May 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search