Kronos fills time & attendance gap left by ERPs in local government
Recognizing the inherent deficiencies of time and labor products offered by Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) vendors, local government entities are increasingly turning to Kronos Incorporated to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity.
• Local governments are finding that rudimentary time and labor products offered by ERP vendors are unable to meet their requirements. ERP solutions that rely on custom code and scripting languages take longer and are more expensive to implement and maintain. They also waste employees' and managers' valuable time by forcing them to live with sub-standard functionality.
• Time and attendance data collection is a common weak point in any government infrastructure, one that usually escapes detection and can leak hundreds of thousands, even millions, of dollars each year. Considering that labor costs represent one of the largest expenses for local governments, time and attendance data collection is a great place to look for quick payback.
• Local governments such as the City of Atlanta (Ga.), City of Dayton (Ohio), City of Denver (Colo.), City of El Paso (Texas), City of Ontario (Calif.), and City of Stamford (Conn.) use Kronos time and attendance solutions to extend the value of their ERP investment.
• Beth Machann, city controller, City of Denver
“Payroll is typically a local government's largest expense and even a month's delay in automating time and attendance can have a significant impact on the bottom line. Kronos helped us orchestrate a swift deployment, which allowed us to plan our budgets more effectively, and also enables us to reign in those budgeted dollars with increased efficiency and reduced payroll errors.”
• Steve Conrad, fiscal systems manager, County of Santa Clara, Calif.
“We'd rather focus our energy on serving our public efficiently than worry about software customization, which is both expensive and time consuming. Kronos helps us track time and attendance information of our diverse and widespread employees and helps us balance the demands of tight budgets and quality service.”
• Lori C. Austin, manager, accounting and finance/CFO, Kansas City Board of Public Utilities
“Our employees benefit tremendously from the enhanced accuracy and predictability that Kronos provides in the area of payroll. And our taxpayers benefit from the reduced costs and increased efficiency through better data acquisition and improved reporting. Given the complexity of our payroll environment, the more rules and issues a time and attendance system can handle, the greater the reduction in error and higher the ROI.”
• Christine Carmichael, director of government industry marketing, Kronos
“Government entities that use Kronos for automated time and attendance rather than an ERP system cite results such as lower software costs, better data acquisition, and less customization. Kronos provides local governments with a completely configurable solution with full workforce management functionality out-of-the-box.”
Kronos recently announced a new integration tool which makes it even easier for organizations to integrate Kronos applications with existing ERP, payroll, and human resources systems.