Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / Onward Holdings, Laox tie up for clothing JV
Onward Holdings, Laox tie up for clothing JV
23
Jun '15
Japanese apparel maker Onward Holdings and electronics retailer Laox have announced that they will establish a clothing joint venture in September in an effort to tap the purchasing power of Chinese middle-class consumers, according to media reports.

The main selling point of the products will be their Japanese-made quality. They will be sold using Laox's sales network, which includes duty-free shops in Japan and online shopping sites in China. Sales are targeted at 20 billion yen ($162 million) within three years. The Tokyo-based company will start off with 400 million yen in capital.

Onward will chip in 51per cent while Laox will provide the other 49 per cent. The parent companies will develop new products reflecting Chinese tastes. They are also considering starting a new brand.

Chinese Internet sales will begin in September. After that, the products will be sold in Laox stores in Japan. The parent companies will also explore sales in other Asian countries, promoting the high quality of Japanese-made products.

Laox entered the apparel business earlier in June 2015 by creating a Japanese clothing brand. The company will continue bolstering its fashion-related enterprise by purchasing a women's shoe company in July. It wishes to lift clothing to over 10 per cent of all sales. Onward will lend its strength in product planning and material procurement, as well as its network of domestic sewing plants.

The Japanese clothing market is losing steam. Manufacturing expenses are climbing due to the weak yen and rising labor costs in China. Onward is continuing to restructure, an effort that includes discontinuing unprofitable youth brands.

Developing the Chinese market is a major challenge for Onward.That is where Laox comes in with its strong name recognition among Chinese consumers.

By teaming up with Laox, Onward will make a full leap into the Chinese online retail business, which is expected to expand rapidly.

"There is a chance that existing operations in China will coordinate with the joint venture," said Onward President Michinobu Yasumoto. (SH)

Fibre2fashion News Desk – India


Must ReadView All

Pic: Shutterstock

Textiles | On 19th Feb 2020

CLMV nations urged to export goods items to Japan

Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam (CLMV) were recently encouraged...

Pic: Shutterstock

Apparel/Garments | On 19th Feb 2020

Turkey's apparel sector sets $19 bn export target in 2020

Turkey's apparel sector, which sold goods worth $17.7 billion to...

Pic: Waleeds / Shutterstock.com

Textiles | On 19th Feb 2020

Pakistan textile exports up 3.68% in July-Jan FY20

The value of textile and garment exports from Pakistan increased by...

Interviews View All

Vidhyaa Shankar. S, A Ganapathi Chettiar

Vidhyaa Shankar. S
A Ganapathi Chettiar

'The usage of knits is getting into the boundaries of woven fabrics'

Abhishek Samdaria, Reflete

Abhishek Samdaria
Reflete

GST will certainly reduce a lot of paperwork in future

C Kamatchisundaram, Voltas

C Kamatchisundaram
Voltas

ITME is an occasion not only to receive new leads but also to work on...

Urmil Arya,

Urmil Arya

Sushila International, a well established textile organisation established ...

N Nithyanandan,

N Nithyanandan

Incorporated in 1999, Purani Textiless Private Limited is one of the...

Maya Simova,

Maya Simova

Inter Expo and Congress Center (IEC) is a prominent exhibition centre in...

Kevin Nelson, TissueGen

Kevin Nelson
TissueGen

Kevin Nelson, Chief Scientific Officer, TissueGen discusses the growing...

Steve McCullough & Marco Weichert, Functional Fabric Fair & Design and Development GmbH Textile Consult respectively

Steve McCullough & Marco Weichert
Functional Fabric Fair & Design and Development GmbH Textile Consult respectively

Functional Fabric Fair is a trade-exclusive event showcasing the latest...

Luis Quijano, Liberty University

Luis Quijano
Liberty University

Focusing on bold patterns and colour palettes, Luis Quijano, a student at...

Priya Somaiya, Usha Social Services

Priya Somaiya
Usha Social Services

The Usha Silai label from Usha International is all set for a retail...

Sailesh Singhania, Sailesh Singhania Label

Sailesh Singhania
Sailesh Singhania Label

The Sailesh Singhania label was created to promote handwoven sarees and...

Tony Ward, Tony Ward

Tony Ward
Tony Ward

"You have to truly understand what your client wants, know her needs, what ...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


February 2020

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.


Advanced Search