Home / Knowledge / News / Fashion / British retailer Marks and Spencer gets FIPB approval
British retailer Marks and Spencer gets FIPB approval
09
Jul '08
Marks and Spencer Group plc (Marks & Spencer) is pleased to announce receipt of approval from the Foreign Investment Promotion Board to set up Marks and Spencer Reliance India Pvt Ltd, the joint venture with Reliance Retail, part of the Reliance Industries Group.

The JV will see an FDI inflow of around £29m (in cash or in kind) with Marks & Spencer holding 51% in the venture, and Reliance Retail taking the remaining 49%.

This is an initial investment into the JV, with both parties agreeing to provide further funding in the future.

The new joint venture will have the right to operate Marks & Spencer stores in India selling a wide range of women's, men's and children's clothing as well as homewares.

It will aim to open at least 50 new stores in India over the next five years.

This announcement is part of Marks & Spencer's plans to grow its international business to 15-20 per cent of Group revenues within the next five years.

Mr. Mark Ashman CEO of Marks and Spencer Reliance India Pvt Ltd said: “This approval is a further milestone in establishing Marks & Spencer as a major retail brand in India.

We are delighted with this opportunity that allows us to be closer to our customers and are now looking forward with our partners Reliance Retail to opening larger stores and offering Marks and Spencer products at more affordable prices.

Marks and Spencer Group plc


Must ReadView All

Sri Lanka reduces VAT on imported fabric to 5%

Textiles | On 24th Sep 2018

Sri Lanka reduces VAT on imported fabric to 5%

Considering the requests made by the stakeholders in the fabric...

Courtesy: Andritz

Textiles | On 24th Sep 2018

'Strength of economy, demographics drive nonwovens demand'

The strength of the economy and demographic trends are the main...

ITC helps bolster Chinese investment in Ethiopian textile

Textiles | On 24th Sep 2018

ITC helps bolster Chinese investment in Ethiopian textile

Major Chinese textile firms are stepping up sourcing and investment...

Interviews View All

Yashiki Gumber, Sahiba Fabrics

Yashiki Gumber
Sahiba Fabrics

Fabric does not restrict us from fashion trends

Darshan Mehta, Infinium Polychem

Darshan Mehta
Infinium Polychem

We are spending double digit figures on R&D

Cyril Pereira, Reed Exhibitions India, organiser of Asian Machine Tool Exhibition 2016

Cyril Pereira
Reed Exhibitions India, organiser of Asian Machine Tool Exhibition 2016

'Major problem in the textile machinery manufacturing industry is the lack ...

Kamal Kulshreshth,

Kamal Kulshreshth

Colorjet is among the fastest-growing wide format digital inkjet print...

Mark Tokuhara,

Mark Tokuhara

Japan-based FitJoy, a shoe brand for women, has been in the footwear...

Tom Adeyoola,

Tom Adeyoola

Describing itself as the best body shape and garment fit company in the...

Kai Poehler, Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG

Kai Poehler
Voith Paper GmbH & Co. KG

The glass mat industry is growing by five to eight per cent annually. Kai...

Ashok Desai, Bombay Textile Research Association

Ashok Desai
Bombay Textile Research Association

Bombay Textile Research Association (BTRA) is a leading name in textile...

Mr Ambrose Chan, DSG International (Thailand) PLC

Mr Ambrose Chan
DSG International (Thailand) PLC

Priya Somaiya, Usha Social Services

Priya Somaiya
Usha Social Services

The Usha Silai label from Usha International is all set for a retail...

Mike Hoffman, Gildan Activewear SRL

Mike Hoffman
Gildan Activewear SRL

Gildan Activewear, a manufacturer and marketer of branded clothing and...

Judy Frater, Somaiya Kala Vidya

Judy Frater
Somaiya Kala Vidya

Among the many honours showered on Frater, including Fulbright and Ford...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


September 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search