Home / Knowledge / News / Textiles / Textiles GST rates to be decided on June 3
Textiles GST rates to be decided on June 3
20
May '17
The Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council will announce the tax rates for the textile sector during the next meeting to be held on June 3 as it was unable to reach a consensus regarding the same at the meeting held in Srinagar. The complex nature of the value chain and textile associations' demands of a fibre neutral taxation system has led to the delay.

The Council did decide on the GST rate for a variety of textile machinery, all of which have been placed under the 18 per cent slab. However, it is not likely to make much of a difference to machinery prices as the tax on machinery currently amounts to 17.5 per cent.

"As per the announced GST rate, there is no drastic difference in the existing purchase and sales of machineries. Earlier also, the rate for machinery was 12.5 per cent with 5 per cent VAT which totalled to 17.5 per cent. With 18 per cent GST on machinery, there is neither loss nor gain. However, it is too early to say anything as we are yet to have the rates for services and textiles," CB Chandrashekar, CFO, Lakshmi Machine Works Limited, told Fibre2Fashion.

As for the home textile products wholly made of quilted textile materials, they will attract 12 per cent tax under the new tax regime.

It has also been announced that e-commerce players will need to deduct 1 per cent tax at source before paying suppliers, a move that is unlikely to directly affect consumers.

"We believe GST is good for the e-commerce industry as it would eliminate hurdles in inter-state delivery and subsume the entry tax introduced on e-commerce shipments by some states. We are studying the developments very closely and our priority is to enable our seller ecosystem to be geared up for compliance with GST regulations. As always we will work customer backwards to ensure they are not inconvenienced," an Amazon spokesperson told F2F.

The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) has suggested that the first nine months from roll out of GST on July 1 can be considered as a trial period. It has urged the government that punitive actions should not be taken against businesses for making procedural mistakes in order to help them get familiarised with the new taxation regime. (KD)

Fibre2Fashion News Desk – India


Interviews View All

Nishank Patel, Shri Dinesh Mills Limited

Nishank Patel
Shri Dinesh Mills Limited

Broad range of fabrics will sell well this financial year

Headhonchos, Indian fashion industry

Headhonchos
Indian fashion industry

Organic the first choice of any environment-conscious person

Anavila Misra, Anavila Collection

Anavila Misra
Anavila Collection

Fashion shows are also encouraging and highlighting sustainable fashion

Umang Banthia,

Umang Banthia

Established in 2005, SL Banthia Textiles manufactures coated fabrics....

Puneet Jain & Yatin Jain,

Puneet Jain & Yatin Jain

Odhni is an indutva or ethnicwear brand started in 1999 by the Jain...

Wesly Clements,

Wesly Clements

US-based Baldwin Technology Company is a global manufacturer and supplier...

Marten Alkhagen, Swerea IVF AB

Marten Alkhagen
Swerea IVF AB

Marten Alkhagen, Senior Scientist - Nonwoven and Technical Textiles of...

Johan Berlin, Investkonsult Sweden AB

Johan Berlin
Investkonsult Sweden AB

Investkonsult Sweden AB are consultants in the nonwoven and absorbent...

Justin Chan & Shyam Gollakota, University of Washington

Justin Chan & Shyam Gollakota
University of Washington

A fabric that can store data without any electronics or batteries has been ...

Varsha Wadhwa, VW

Varsha Wadhwa
VW

Coming from a family that ran a business of jute and linen mills since...

Sonam & Paras Modi, SVA

Sonam & Paras Modi
SVA

Sonam and Paras Modi's Sva Couture is synonymous with head-turning...

Judy Frater, Somaiya Kala Vidya

Judy Frater
Somaiya Kala Vidya

Among the many honours showered on Frater, including Fulbright and Ford...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


November 2019

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

Follow us on instagram

Follow

Follow Fibre2Fashion On


Advanced Search