Home / Knowledge / News / Apparel/Garments / Cato Q4'FY14 net income nearly halves
Cato Q4'FY14 net income nearly halves
21
Mar '14
The Cato Corporation reported net income for the fourth quarter and year ended February 1, 2014. For the fourth quarter, the Company reported net income of $3.8 million or $0.13 per diluted share, compared to net income of $7.9 million or $0.27 per diluted share for the fourth quarter ended February 2, 2013.  For the quarter, net income and earnings per diluted share both decreased 52% from the prior year.  
 
Full year fiscal 2013 net income was $54.3 million or $1.86 per diluted share compared to $61.7 million or $2.11 per diluted share for 2012.  For the year, both net income and earnings per diluted share decreased 12% from the prior year.  Fiscal 2013 includes 52 weeks versus 53 weeks in 2012.
 
Sales for fiscal fourth quarter ended February 1, 2014 were $215.2 million, a decrease of 7% from sales of $232.0 million for the fourth quarter ended February 2, 2013.  On a comparable 13-week basis, total sales for the quarter decreased 1% and same-store sales decreased 3% from last year.  For the year, the Company's sales decreased 2% to $910.5 million from 2012 sales of $933.8 million.  On a comparable 52-week basis, total sales for the fiscal year ended February 1, 2014 decreased 1% and same-store sales decreased 3% from 2012.
 
"Results for 2013 were negatively impacted by the continuing difficult economic situation our customers have faced for some time now," commented John Cato, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. "Even with the very challenging environment, we have continued to grow our store base, manage our inventory, control costs and, most importantly, remain profitable.  
 
We have also continued to invest in our business by renovating and expanding facilities, upgrading systems and launching an e-commerce website in November.  The e-commerce website launch went very smoothly and has been well received by customers.  However, we do not expect e-commerce to have significant impact on 2014 results.  
 
In regard to the fourth quarter, earnings were impacted by a very promotional holiday sales season as well as a number of winter storms in December and January.  Also, the comparison of fourth quarter results to the prior year is negatively impacted by the fact this year had one less week than the prior year period."
 
Click here to view full results.
 

Cato Corporation


Must ReadView All

May 31 deadline for registration of chemicals under REACH

Textiles | On 23rd May 2018

May 31 deadline for registration of chemicals under REACH

May 31 is the final deadline for companies to register all chemicals...

US cotton production projected to decline in 2018: USDA

Textiles | On 23rd May 2018

US cotton production projected to decline in 2018: USDA

US cotton production is forecast at 19.5 million bales, nearly 7 per...

Pakistan's textile exports up 8.13% in July-April FY18

Textiles | On 23rd May 2018

Pakistan's textile exports up 8.13% in July-April FY18

The value of textile and garment exports from Pakistan increased by...

Interviews View All

Dinaz Madhukar
DLF Emporio and DLF Promenade

‘Each event and promotion is planned out keeping in mind the business of...

Priyanka
Studio Priyanka Rajiv

‘To reinvent the age-old tradition of embroidery to suit demographics and...

Awen Delaval
Samatoa

'Natural fibres are appreciated for traditional authenticity'

Mala Alwani

<div>Delhi-based fast fashion womenswear brand, Besiva, aims to bridge the ...

Kalai Selvi

Vidyashilp Academy in Bengaluru is the country's first Fairtrade School....

Apurva Kothari

No Nasties was the first fashion brand in India to make 100 per cent...

Urs Stalder
Sanitized AG

Urs Stalder, CEO, Sanitized AG, talks about the increasing use of hygiene...

Johan Berlin
InvestKonsult Sweden AB

Investkonsult Sweden AB has been buying and selling second-hand textile...

Eamonn Tighe
Nature Works LLC

Eamonn Tighe, Fibres and Nonwovens - Business Development Manager of...

Anisha Chaudhari
Threads & Shirts

Threads &amp; Shirts is a freshly-tailored concept providing men/women a...

Adriano Goldschmied
AG Jeans

The hype around 'designer jeans' was created by him. And the new wave of...

Wendell Rodricks
Wendell Rodricks

"We should not compare India and the West. There are things we do that...

Press Release

Press Release

Letter to Editor

Letter to Editor

RSS Feed

RSS Feed

Submit your press release on


editorial@fibre2fashion.com

Letter To Editor






(Max. 8000 char.)

Search Companies





SEARCH

Leave your Comments


May 2018

Subscribe today and get the latest update on Textiles, Fashion, Apparel and so on.

news category


Related Categories:

Advanced Search